Bhringraj, or “false daisy,” its popular English name, is a traditional herb highly recommended for achieving long, silky, and strong hair. It has roots in Ayurveda and is used as an oil in contemporary times. It is a part of the sunflower family, and the leaves of the Bhringraj tree are used to prepare the oil. Read more about the 15 amazing health benefits of Bhringraj oil.
Science backed Benefits of Bhringraj hair oil –
Bhringraj oil is taken from the leaves of the Bhringraj plant, usually found in tropical regions across the globe. The leaves are usually heated with a carrier oil to manufacture Bhringraj oil. It is also available in capsule or powder form. It comes highly recommended by the ancient Indian science of Ayurveda for ailments concerning hair. Following is a list of some of Bhringraj benefits it has on your hair:
- Promotes Hair Growth – There is a scientific study conducted on albino rats in 2008 that showed an increase in the number of hair follicles due to the use of Bhringraj oil. Bhringraj oil is also full of vitamin E, which helps in hair growth.
- Cures Baldness – Bhringraj oil, when massaged onto the scalp, promotes blood flow and regulates hair growth. Regular use of Bhringraj oil is proven to help with reducing baldness.
- Treats Dandruff – Bhringraj oil has antifungal properties, which can help to reduce dandruff or flaky scalp. Scalp psoriasis is when the scalp develops red patches, which eventually leads to yeast infections and dandruff. Bhringraj oil helps control these infections and prevent the build-up of dandruff on the scalp.
- Strengthen roots – hair roots weaken due to poor hygiene, pollution, and a lifestyle that involves frequent traveling. When exposed to hard water and heat tools, the hair roots weaken, leading to bald spots on the scalp. Using Bhringraj oil can help the roots strengthen and get immune to harmful environmental factors.
- Treats Scalp Itchiness – often, dead skin cells can accumulate, leading to itchiness and infections. Bhringraj oil, being anti-toxin in nature, can help clarify the scalp and eliminate itchiness and infections.
- Reduces Hair Fall – hair oiling is a habit proven by Ayurveda to reduce hair fall. Massage the areas eight fingers from your forehead and four fingers from the back of your head. Using Bhringraj oil can highly decrease hair fall. The antioxidants in the oil reduce the hygral stress, which causes the scalp cells to weaken, resulting in hair loss.
- Stops Premature Greying of Hair – Premature greying signifies a lack of nourishment on hair ends. Using Bhringraj hair oil can prevent and slow the greying process. Bhringraj hair oil is known for its darkening properties that help hair appear less grey.
- Adds shine to hair – Healthy hair is often recognized by its shine and length. Bhringraj oil helps restore hair health and adds luster to it. Bhringraj oil conditions hair which helps with shine.
- Reduces frizzy appearance – Extensive heat from styling tools can result in brittle, curly hair. Bhringraj hair oil helps tame dry hair and get rid of damage from the heat. You can use Bhringraj oil on hair ends before shampooing to eliminate frizzy ends.
- Deep condition – Rich in nutrients, Bhringraj hair oil provides deep conditioning to the scalp and length. Making your hair healthy ensures shine and strength to the hair.
- Cures split ends – Split ends are a sign of stagnant hair growth and nutrient deficit hair; using Bhringraj hair oil can cure split ends by ensuring hair growth and providing the required nutrients to the scalp.
- Prevents thinning of hair – As Bhringraj oil promotes hair growth, it can help make hair voluminous and reduce thinning hair, which usually is a result of pollution and hard water.
- Promotes relaxation and sleep – due to its relaxing properties, Bhringraj oil contributes to healthier sleep and promotes an overall better mood.
- Aids in healthy blood circulation – Bhringraj oil helps increase the blood flow to your brain. Regular massages using Bhringraj oil are beneficial for the head.
- Natural stress reduction – Bhringraj oil helps with headaches and migraines. Take a coin-sized amount on your palm and massage using your fingers.
Other benefits of Bhringraj oil:
- Bhringraj oil contains high quantities of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins E and D, magnesium, calcium, and iron. This can also help in the following:
- Muscle relaxation: it promotes muscle relaxation and helps in soothing inflammation.
- Urinary infections caused due to bacteria: due to its antimicrobial properties, it is used for bacterial infections, which result in UTIs.
- Liver detoxification: the juices from Bhringraj leaves are used as a liver tonic according to ancient Ayurveda.
- Soothing inflamed skin: Bhringraj oil also helps in hydrating dry skin and treats skin conditions like Psoriasis, dermatitis, and a few kinds of acne.
- Neutralize rattlesnake venom: the juice of the plant of Bhringraj can help neutralize rattlesnake venom.
13 Best Bhringraj oils available in the market:
- Aloe Veda Distil Bhringraj Tonic Hair Oil : Aloe vera distills Bhringraj scalp tonic containing Bhringraj and Yastimadhu extracts, Sakralata extracts, and Anjanam. It is a coconut milk-based hair tonic that helps prevent hair fall and promotes hair regrowth. It retails for Rs. 550 for 200 ml.
- Biotique bio Bhringraj hair oil: along with Bhringraj, this oil contains ama, test, and Mulethi to improve overall hair health and prevent baldness. It retails for Rs 265 for 200 ml.
- Jeeves bio advances Bhringraj and olive hair oil: This oil contains Bhringraj and olive oil designed to strengthen hair roots and provide moisture by generating natural protein. It is a paraben and cruelty-free formula. It retails for Rs. 185 for 100 ml.
- Oxyglow herbals Bhringraj regrowth and revitalizing hair oil: It is a concoction of herbal ingredients such as groundnut oil, olive oil, vitamin E, and Bhringraj oil. It helps with greying hair and encourages hair growth. It retails for Rs. 180 for 120 ml.
- Khadi natural Bhringraj herbal hair oil: this is a lightweight formula with sesame oil, khus oil, lemon extracts, amla extracts, and sandal oil. It helps with greying hair and headaches. It is also helpful in reducing stress and tension. It retails for Rs. 155 for 210 ml.
- Baidyanath Maha Bhringhraj Tel: Baidyanath is renowned for its ayurvedic products. It works wonders for hair fall, adding shine and preventing greying. Additionally, it can be used for neck pain, headaches, or stiff muscles. It retails for Rs. 255 for 200 ml.
- Indulekha Bringha oil: It is sold as an ayurvedic medicine for hair fall. It contains Bhringraj, neem, and amla extracts, a part of a virgin coconut oil concoction made of herbal goodness. Regular use stimulates hair growth. It comes with an easy applicator in the form of a comb. It retails for Rs. 432 for 100 ml.
- Kama Ayurveda Bringadi Intensive Hair Treatment Oil: it contains herbs like Bhringraj, indigo, balloon vine, and amla extracts. It is helpful in dandruff and scalp infections and works best as a massage oil to calm and soothe the nerves. It retails for Rs. 650 for 100 ml.
Bhringraj is an ancient herb proven by Ayurveda and modern science to help with hair growth and help treat scalp infections. It helps reduce hair damage and greying and promotes the new growth of shiny, healthy hair. You can choose your pick from several available options; different oils have Bhringraj combined with other ingredients to target specific problem areas.